What Happened to Bridegroom Jonathan Williams Who Disappeared in 1994?

Published: Updated: 0 comment

Jonathan “Joe” Williams, 28, worked as a correctional officer at the Leeds County, Missouri jail in 1994. He was also a member of the U.S. Army Reserve. 

Joe and his wife married on June 4, 1994. He has a daughter, Amanda, from a previous relationship, three years old in 1994. Joe loved his daughter immensely and took exceptional care of her.

Everything seemed well in his life until the unimaginable happened.

The following evening, June 5, 1994, the newlyweds hosted a small celebratory party at their home near The Paseo (also known as Paseo Boulevard and Paseo) and East 39th Street in Kansas City. Joe left the party to take a friend home at 6:30 p.m. in his black 1994 Ford Tempo.

His bride claimed he left home for the last time on June 6, 1994, at 1 a.m., Kansas City Police Department states on their website. Some agencies say 5:45 a.m.

According to The Charley Project, Jonathan’s “wife reported him missing on the evening of the day she last heard from him.” 

Joe’s sister, Janice Martin, spoke with KSHB 41 in May of this year and said that she hopes KCPD’s restructured missing person unit will take a fresh look at the evidence in the case.

Martin: “[Blood] smears coming form the top of the stairs all the way down to the bottom of the stairs. The hallway leading to the front porch, on the front porch, sidewalk, the grass, they haven’t found his car, and they haven’t found him.”

According to KSHB 41, investigators had 17 documented leads in Joe’s case in 1994, with the last tip pursued on June 29, 1994.

Eight years after Joe vanished, authorities dug up a gravesite at Mount Moriah Cemetery, searching for his remains, but found nothing. What is interesting is Joe’s wife worked at a funeral home when he went missing.

Joe’s loved ones had him legally declared dead in 2004.

Jonathan’s daughter, Amanda Williams, is still searching for answers to her father’s disappearance. She also spoke with KSHB 41 in May.

“I’ve never stopped wondering,” Amanda said. “When I was smaller, I would pray at night – ‘Please bring my dad back home.’ That prayer has changed because I’m sure he’s never coming back home, but my prayer now is the family just has closure.

“My nana would always say, ‘What’s done in the dark will come to the light.’ And I stand by that – it may not come to light when I’m still on Earth, but eventually, it will,” Amanda said.

Joe’s family does not believe he would have abandoned Amanda.

If you have information about Joe’s disappearance, call 816-234-5136 or e-mail missingperson@kcpd.org.

True Crime Diva’s Thoughts

There is not much public info available on Joe’s disappearance, unfortunately. 

His new wife was probably involved. He disappeared TWO days after their wedding. He did not voluntarily leave home.

We know he left the house that night to take the friend home, he returned, and someone killed him. All the blood allegedly inside and outside the house proves someone killed him there. HE NEVER LEFT at 1 a.m., as his bride claimed. Therefore, he could not have called her on June 6. 

If he was alive and well on June 6, why haven’t any other witnesses come forward, like neighbors, for example?

What did wifey gain from his death? What is her name? Where is she now? Who were the people at the party? Why haven’t they spoken up and demanded answers? Were they involved?

Leave a Comment

About Me

True Crime Diva

True Crime Diva

I've blogged true crime since 2010, happily taking up only a tiny corner of the internet. I'm not here for attention; I'm here to tell you their stories.

You cannot copy the content of this page!

Skip to content